Tuesday 15 July 2008

Starting my eco-friendly jewellery business

Last Christmas I was finding it very difficult to find ethical and eco-friendly jewellery. It seemed that there was ethical jewellery out there but the designs tended to be either very fancy costume jewellery, or very poor quality. What I wanted was something in between - really fun, beautiful jewellery suitable for wearing everyday. It also seemed that of what was available in the market, most ethical jewellery was fairtrade but had little environmental benefit, often using environmentally unfriendly and ethically dubious materials such as gemstones, seashells and bone.

I could find jewellery with nice designs or I could find jewellery made from eco-friendly materials, but I was looking for something that fulfilled both criteria. Unable to find what I was looking for in the market, I decided that maybe I should be the person to put it there and so set about creating my own eco-friendly jewellery business.

This is the story of Maple Rush.

No comments: